The ONLY way to remove a ZoneAlarm password that is forgotten, corrupted, or will not work is to remove the database files associated with TrueVector, as follows.
Please note that this will remove your program permissions and Trusted Zone settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process; you will be prompted again for program access for all the applications that you use to access the local network or Internet.
First we need to boot into Safe Mode, please follow these steps to do so.
- Power down your computer.
- Start the system, and immediately begin tapping the 'F8' key once every second.
- You will get a startup menu; choose 'Safe Mode' by using the up/down arrow keys.
- Press Enter.
Once you have booted into Safe Mode, please continue.
- If you have Windows XP, click Start -> My Computer. In Vista and 7, go to Start -> Computer
- Double-click your C: drive, probably called local disk C:.
- Double-click on the Windows or Winnt folder.
- Double-click the Internet Logs folder.
- Please delete the following files here:
- Close this window, then right-click and empty the recycle bin.
- Clear the registry entry with the steps below:
- Go to Start -> Run
NOTE: If you do not have the Run option on the Start menu, you can press and hold the Windows logo key and tap the letter R.
- Type in regedit and press OK
- On the left find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click on the plus next to this and make it a minus.
- Find the SOFTWARE folder; click on the plus and make it a minus
- If you are using a 64-bit Operating System, click the WOW6432NODE folder
- Find the Zone Labs folder; click on the plus and make it a minus
- Find the TrueVector folder; click on the plus and make it a minus
- Find the Store folder; click on it
- On the right, locate and left click on the 'upwval' entry
- Press delete and then say yes to the alert that pops up
- Go to Start -> Run
- Close this window, then restart the computer normally. Be sure to answer any configuration screens you may receive once your system has restarted.